Website The Christian and Missionary Alliance in Canada
Ministry Job Description
Director of Communications
To faithfully serve the Alliance family as we seek to be Christ-centred, Spirit-empowered and Mission-focused.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
The Director of Communications will direct and oversee all communications for The Christian and Missionary Alliance in Canada (C&MA), and will provide strategic direction to the communication process across all media channels.
The Director of Communications will develop and oversee the C&MA’s communications strategy that uses various media to build, maintain and manage the representation of the organization, both internally and externally. This strategy will promote, enhance and protect the organization’s brand reputation.
The Director will also work along with the C&MA’s extended Communications team that is comprised of National, District and Local church representatives at the invitation of the Director of Communications in the formulation and execution of the above strategy.
The Director will also direct the development of the organization’s publications and web services, and will oversee the administrative and production staff of the Communications department.
Reports directly to: Executive Vice President
Works Closely With:
- Internal contacts: National Ministry Staff: President; Executive Vice President; Vice President Nurture and Development; Vice President Venture; Directors of NMC departments; Administrative Support Staff; and Global Leadership Team
- Works closely with the Director of Development
- External contacts: Alliance Churches, Districts and Ministries, International Workers, various media contacts and publications, contractors, and other Alliance partners
- Provide leadership and development for the Communications department and team.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities and conduct annual performance appraisals
- Effectively manage the day-to-day activities of the Communications department including budgeting, planning and production.
- Analyze the return on investment (ROI) for all communications projects, commitments and activities
- Produce reports for internal analysis as needed
- Recruit and manage a Communications team to support the development and execution of the communications strategy.
- Serve as communications counselor to the C&MA leadership and staff.
- Keep clear channels of communication open with the senior leadership team, all NMC departments, and fellow co-workers
- Participate in other meetings and events as required to implement and coordinate the Communications department efforts.
- Other duties as assigned by the EVP
- Develop, implement and manage an integrated strategic communications plan to advance the
C&MA’s vision; broaden awareness of its ministries and priorities; create a strong, coherent image; and increase the visibility of its programs across all audiences. This includes:
- Emphasis on the Alliance deeper-life and missions messages in communications
- Integration of the President’s vision to be Christ-Centred, Spirit-Empowered and Mission-Focused
- Coordination of marketing and branding initiatives to communicate the C&MA vision and message
- Create a marketing/public relations strategy that will allow C&MA leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with the leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Participate in the C&MA’s strategic planning process as a member of the Global Leadership Team.
- Analyze the effectiveness of the communications strategy and its execution on an on-going basis.
- Coordinate the dissemination of Alliance strategies and Global Advance Fund giving opportunities to Alliance internal and external audiences, including messages sent by church and international ministries.
- Develop and maintain a professional and consistent corporate image.
- Oversee the creation of a positive image of the organization to the media, donors, potential donors, Alliance partnering organizations and the general public.
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization.
- Oversee and approve press releases, articles and online communications
- Manage the public relations and media aspects of any potential or present crisis situation.
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding
C&MA programs, special events, public announcements and other projects. This includes:
- Prioritization of media opportunities and preparation of talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material, as needed
- Strategy development to effectively deliver press releases to the media and to communicate benefits to media outlets of accepting press releases
- Creation and coordination of media interaction and photo opportunities
- Build community relations by attending events as needed.
- Identify audiences and appropriate media formats for communications.
- Plan and oversee development and production of all C&MA print communications, which currently includes:
- The President’s Report, Alliance Connection magazine, brochures, and other ministry marketing materials
- Plan and oversee the consistent message and image of the organization’s website.
- Plan and oversee the production of promotional videos, photographs and multimedia programs.
- Produce or oversee the production and maintenance of social media communications.
- Manage relationships with associated vendors.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field is required, while an advanced degree is preferred
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a senior management role either in-house or with an agency
- Highly effective skills in project management, prioritization, multi-tasking and time management
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations and marketing program to advance an organization’s mission and goals.
- Demonstrated experience in budget preparation and management
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media
- Proven experience working with social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Vimeo and YouTube
- Ability to think creatively about how best to maximize new media technologies
- Demonstrated skill and comfort level in proactively building relationships with top-tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- Superior management skills, with the ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion, especially with regards to sensitive or confidential personnel or organizational matters
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution and people management skills
- Advanced computer skills and experience in using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint; Adobe desktop publishing; and web-authoring products
- Knowledge of graphic design skills and an eye for aesthetics
- Ability to attend and conduct meetings and presentations
- Travel may be required
Salary commensurate with experience, and conforms to the National Ministry Centre’s office salary structure.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.
We’re made of people in churches who send people to share love, truth and hope with people around the world, people who may never have heard the name “Jesus” before.